It’s Time to Get Back to Project Management Basics
What few people will tell you about project management is that your chances of leading a truly successful project are fairly slim and largely determined before you’ve even completed your plan. This is as true now as it was in the 1980s, despite the development of sophisticated project management software tools, the introduction of methodologies like Agile, and the growth of the project certification industry. None of this has made a significant difference: too many projects are still failing, and failing badly.
But it doesn’t have to be that way, not if you know how to start a project up in the right way.
I’ll share with you my formula for initiating projects successfully. It’s what I learned from my three years as an unsuccessful amateur American Football player in the UK. I’ve used it for over 20 years and it still works for me. It can work for you too.
- How to define your project in 7 easy steps
- How to engage with key stakeholders, so that you get their backing throughout the project
- How to generate momentum that will make your job easier as you move from planning to delivery
- How to turn a potential disaster into a stunning success.
Who this book is for:
- Change Agents, including Project Managers, Programme Managers, Project Directors, Business Change Directors, Transformation Directors and HR Directors
- Resource Managers, including Operations Managers, Line Managers, Test Managers and Consultant
- Financial Controllers, including Finance Managers, Finance Directors and CEOs
- Transformation Managers, including Vice Presidents, Divisional Managers and Project Sponsors.
Table of Contents:
- Why American Football
- The Key Lessons I Learned From Three Years of Playing Football
- Three Things You Can Learn From American Football
- My Project Management Play Book Approach
- Project Kick-off Meetings
- Scope Management
- Project Scheduling
- Benefits Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Risk Identification
- Project Costing and Budgeting
- Further Reading
- About The Author